Sunday 24 February 2013

WARNING - NON BEAUTY POST

Ok, so today I am going to do a short post and its not beauty related.... Don't worry though because over the next few days I will be doing a feature on makeup fixing sprays, and a first thoughts review of the new Revlon Naked foundation and powder.

Today, is about candles... yes, you read that right.  This is not about common house candles, or church candles, this is about the smelly variety of candles, not just your well known named brands such as Yankee but any fragranced candle.


First of all to make your candles go further you will need to invest in an oil burner, this one is something I found  online and is very pretty...


My oil burner is white with some detailing on it and cost approximately £3 from Sainsburys.  You can pick them up cheaper in places like B&M and any stores that sell candles and homewares.  

The next thing you need is.....


Some messy melted candles!  I just hate to see all that lovely smelling wax go to waste, particularly when this happens to my little yankee candles, they are too expensive to waste.  

What I do is wait till it all cools down then i break apart the wax into chunks and I store it in an empty coffee jar.  This is perfect because it has a lid, is clear so you can see whats in there, and they are a good shape and size and are free (well if you are a coffee drinker they are) Other things you could use are tupperware tubs, jam or marmalade jars etc.  Charity shops are a great place to find decorative little glass storage jars so you can always check those out.  I prefer the coffee jar as I can then put that into the pot with my tealights in the front room.

The wax that is left and is wasted in overspill on your candle plate, plate, etc still has that amazing smell infused in it, so why waste that?  You can simply light a tea light in your oil burner and add a few chunks to the top and once that melts down you get that amazing aroma.  Its good for quite a few uses before it starts to lose its smell, in fact I have some wax in mine that has been there a good couple of weeks and still smells amazing.  

Maybe this is me being super frugal, but I hate waste, and its such a shame to not enjoy the smell of our candles longer.  

To remove it from the burner when the smell is gone you want to wait till it has gone almost cold, and use a spoon to lever down the side and take it out, hopefully if its cooled through properly you should be able to get it out in several pieces without too much mess or residue left behind.  The timing of this takes practice but no matter because any residue left you can always just light the tealight, warm up the wax and remove with a baby wipe with no problems.

ALSO, if you use candles in jars, you are often left with a good bit in the bottom that you cannot burn as the wick burns out.  This wax still smells amazing and will be great in a burner, so just take a spoon, and tap at the wax to crack it into chunks and store it up. You could even use your empty candle jars as a cute place to store those chunks of wax.  Couldn't be more appropriate really. 

I also love to mix wax leftovers to create my own cocktail of smells, right now I have red velvet cupcake with sicilian lemon and ice cream - it smells amazing.

I hope this has been interesting, and always stay safe when using your candles, be careful of where you place them and remember that oil burners can get hot so I have mine on a coaster as its on a wood surface and I don't want to damage it.



Live, Love, Laugh

And remember, the name of this blog is UNAPOLOGETIC.  I'm going to be honest with you always.  You might not agree, but its good to hear every side of the story xx


No comments:

Post a Comment