Friday 1 March 2013

The truth according to Spacey - Makeup Setting Sprays

This is a start of a series of blogs about my thoughts on makeup and beauty:

I wanted to start with makeup fixing sprays, I have three that I currently use... one from the high street (Boots) and two from mid/high end brands.

So, what do I have?


I have MAC Fix+ (£13.50 for 100ml) and Urban Decays All nighter (£19.50 for 118ml) The Urban Decay now comes in different packaging like this below, but is the same size and price and also comes in a handy travel size which retails for £9 for 30ml.


The high street setting spray is... wait for it



Yes, ladies thats right, its Evian Brumisateur - not only is this refreshing in the summer, I carry it everywhere with me to keep cool and refreshed and to keep my pooches cool BUT its cheap and effective as a makeup setting spray.  This retails for approximately £6 at Boots but you can get water sprays from other brands in aerosols that will be just as effective.  I got mine in a larger Boots store but you might be able to get this in smaller ones to.

THE BENEFITS


  • A makeup setting spray doesn't just set your makeup but the fine mist will also help make your makeup look more flawless, the moisture will in a simple way of putting things melt your makeup and make it fuse together, this makes it look more flawless and smoother.  
  • A setting spray is also a great way to refresh your skin mid day and revive you, giving you back a glow that the day might have polished off.
  • It will help your makeup stay longer, because it adds a layer of protection over the makeup to help it be more resistant to touching.  
  • They smell nice
  • They make my skin feel finished - cant really explain that, i just feel like my skin feels better if i add that little spray of liquid, maybe its just because its quite refreshing.
There are other setting sprays now available from the very affordable high street brands, such as MUA and Collection.  I havent tried these, but have heard good things about them.

WHAT DO I WANT IN A SETTING SPRAY

  1. Essentially and most importantly I want it to make my makeup last longer.
  2. I want it to smell nice, because I spray it on my face, it needs to have a nice fragrance to it, or none at all.
So heres a little review of the three I have:

Evian Brumisateur - This was my first outing with makeup setting sprays, it was affordable and multi use.  I always carry this in my bag on days out in hot weather because its a great way to keep cool for me, my family and my dogs.  Even though this is just water, it has the same sort of effect as a setting spray because it adds that very fine layer over your makeup, and also it 'melts' the makeup and as it dries adds just a little more protection from the day.

I no longer use this as my setting spray because I have others now, but I will always repurchase this just because its an absolute hot weather must have for me.

Urban Decay - All Nighter - I got this one on offer at ASOS.com.  I've had it over a year now and this was my first real setting spray.  I like the bottle and the smell, but must admit I love the new packaging better, its very clean looking.  This spray is amazing stuff, I wear it to go out on a night and have worn it to concerts - where it gets very hot and sweaty.  This spray is amazing, the only thing that wore off was my lipstick, the rest of my makeup including mascara, eyeliner and glitter all stayed completely put over night.  Yes, ladies I did the unthinkable I went to bed with a full face of slap on!  In my defence I was very tired, but theres no excuse really.  It was great to test the spray out this way though.  Its great stuff and mine is nearly all gone... I will definitely repurchase this.

MAC Fix+  - This is the most recent of my setting sprays.  I had heard a lot about this, and got it as a setting spray but also as i had heard it was great to use with loose pigments, which i do not get on with being clumsy and always end up with a face like the Joker with loose pigment everywhere!  So I got this, and first of all the packaging is lovely, its very simple and i like the safety feature on the lid, one twist and its locked in place and cant be pressed, great for your bag or traveling.  The next thing is the smell, I must admit I love the smell of this and its such a fine mist its so refreshing.  This is a finer mist than the Urban Decay, and I like that I dont feel quite so drenched lol.  

This has mixed reviews on youtube but here is why i love it so much, in heavy flash floods our yard always floods, one day i had been to work and on way home it started to rain really heavy, when we got home the yard was flooding.  So me being me, out i went in my work clothes and started bucketing out.  I was out there 45 minutes in often torrential rain and was soaked to the skin, with hair stuck to my scalp.  I came in expecting to also resemble a panda as I had quite a lot of eyeliner on and eyeshadow, and it hadnt budged at all.  No running, streaking, maybe a slight smudging at the corner of the eye, but other than that it was great.  My foundation was also fine.  From that day on I was a true fan and always praise how amazing this product is, and though its pricey you just need 1 or 2 sprays and it just lasts and lasts.

So, as you can see if you watch my videos and read my blog, I can write and write as much as i can talk and talk.....

Essentially some people say they dont need a spray, or that their makeup stays all day but I definitely feel, though the difference is not huge because makeup usually can behave itself all day, there is definitely a difference when I use a spray.  It also gives me confidence when using it.  I use MAC Fix+ every day and will continue to repurchase makeup sprays, they are definitely worth the money.  For a review on the MUA spray check out my lovely friend Nickys blog - THE BEAUTY UNZIPPED.  My favourite makeup brands are Urban Decay and MAC so I will stick with those, but if you use a different one and love it, please let me know in the comments below.

Live, Love, Laugh

And remember, the name of this blog is UNAPOLOGETIC.  I'm going to be honest with you always, you might not agree but its always best to hear every side of the story xx

1 comment:

  1. Ive never tried the high end sprays but I love the water sprays they are fabx x x

    ReplyDelete